DCP administers Maine Housing's Rental Assistance Program in Washington and Hancock counties. The program is designed to assist tenants who cannot afford to pay their rent due to circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic. The program is designed to provide a one time bridge payment of up to $500, until the federal relief funds get to the individuals who need them.
The applicant is the renter and the benefit is paid to the landlord. If the landlord agrees to participate in the program, the landlord is postponing the balance of the payment, not forgiving it. In addition the landlord is agreeing not to evict the renter for non-payment of rent during the month in which the rental relief payment is made.
You may qualify if you are unable to pay your rent due to circumstances related to the coronavirus. Examples include being laid off, having your place of employment closed, reduced hours of work, having to stay home to care for your children because your day care or school has closed, or other loss of income due to the pandemic.
You may qualify if you pay market rent and your current monthly income is less than:
- $3,696 for an individual
- $4,833 for a two person household
- $5,971 for a three person household
- $7,108 for a four or more person household
Note: If you can afford to pay your rent from income of any sort or from savings or other liquid assets, you are not eligible for this program.
Note: If you live in housing that receives any kind of subsidy, you are not eligible. Examples of this include:
- If you receive a Section 8 Voucher, live in a Section 8 apartment or receive Rental Assistance from USDA’s Rural Development you are not eligible.
- If you live in a housing development with a mortgage financed by MaineHousing or a federal agency you are not eligible.
- If you live in a development/property using low-income housing tax credits you are not eligible.
- If you life in public housing you are not eligible.
To apply for the COVID Rental Relief Program, download the Maine Housing application here. Once completed submit the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from Washington and Hancock counties will be processed by Downeast Community Partners. When you submit your application to MaineHousing, they will forward it to DCP. We will likely contact you and your landlord as we work with your application. If you have a question about your application, or the process, please give us a call at 207-610-5927.