DCP administers the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program which helps pay home heating costs. LIHEAP benefits are based on a percentage of federal poverty levels and the guidelines change each year so clients need to reapply each year. LIHEAP pays a portion of home heating costs but not all.
When LIHEAP benefits run out, a client may be eligible for ECIP. Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) funds supplement LIHEAP in emergencies. To qualify for ECIP the household must be below 1/8 tank of oil or about to be disconnected. This program can provide a minimum delivery not exceed $400 of emergency heating assistance in life threatening situations. You can only receive this once a year, and must be a current, approved LIHEAP client.
To apply for these programs you must call to make an appointment. Applications can take up to 30 business days from date of application to be processed so it's important to call early. Our staff will try to work you into the site that is nearest to you. When you come to your appointment you must bring the following:
- Current proof of income for everyone in your household
- A current electric bill
- Date of birth and social security cards for everyone in your household
- Current photo ID for main applicant
- A copy of your current lease (if you rent)
- The name of your energy dealer as well as your account number if you have one
Telephone lines open on September 4, 2018 to make appointments.
Call 207-664-2424, 207-546-7544 or 207-259-5015 to set up an appointment. Outside the local calling areas, call 1-800-828-7544 between 8 a.m. and noon, Monday through Friday.
Documents & Forms
- Applicant Income Affadavit - ES (PDF)
- Landlord Affidavit ES (PDF)
- LiHEAP Assistance Appointment Checklist (PDF)
- Minimal / Zero Income Worksheet ES (PDF)
- Odd Job Income Worksheet ES (PDF)
- Permission to Share Personal Information ES (PDF)
- Primary Residency Self-Declaration ES (PDF)
- Self-Employment Worksheet ES (PDF)
- Subsidized Housing Form - Renters Who Pay Their Own Heating Costs ES (PDF)